Vasant Panchami is the festival of Goddess Saraswati. This festival is celebrated between the month of January and February. This festival signifies us the end the of winter season and starting of spring season. The word vasant means spring and panchami means fifth. So, the festival is celebrated on the fifth day of the Indian month, Maagh (January-February).
Vasant Panchami is also known as Saraswati Puja. This festival is dedicated to Saraswati, the Goddess of Knowledge. Vasant Panchami is also known for birthday of Goddess Saraswati.
Yellow color is associated with Goddess Saraswati as well as the mustard crop, that’s why people wear yellow color clothes and make yellow color sweets on Saraswati Puja. Spring is the season when crops are fully bloomed, so at many places this festival is also celebrated by flying kites .
Goddess Saraswati is God of Wisdom and Knowledge. That’s why this festival is mainly celebrated in school and institution so that students observe the blessings from Maa Saraswati. Yellow colour is the most dominated colour of the day. People make yellow colour sweets and purchase yellow colour clothes and flowers for offering given to Maa Saraswati. The Goddess of art, learning, knowledge and wisdom, Maa Saraswati is worshipped with full dedication.
On this day people feed brahmans with the feeling that they are feeding their ancestors and they are accepting the food. Flying Kite has become the part of this festival and people really enjoy this event.
Goddess Saraswati symbolize the God of intellect and learning. She has four hand which signifies ego, intellect, alertness and the mind. She carries lotus and scriptures in two of her hands and she plays veena with her two hands. She rides on a white swan. Her white dress is the symbol of purity. Her swan signifies that the people should be able to differentiate the good from the bad. Lotus here signifies her wisdom. She is also well skilled in the experience of truth. When the Goddess is sitting on Peacock than it is reminder that strong ego can be held back by wisdom.
How to do Puja
One should follow the following steps while doing Saraswati Puja:
• Dhyana : One should start the puja by doing meditation of Goddess Saraswati. Dhyana should be done in front of book symbolically representing Maa Saraswati.
• Avahan: After meditation, invoke Goddess Saraswati in front of books with mantra. While calling Maa Saraswati hands should be folded and the thumb should be put inward.
• Pushpanjali: After invocation, take five flowers by joining palm of both hands and leave them in front of book by offering seat to Goddess Saraswati by chanting pushpanjali mantra.
• Nav Upchara Puja: After that peform Saraswati Puja by offering chandan, akshata, pushpa, dhoop, deep and naivedhya while chanting mantra.
• Puja Samrpan: After performing the above puja, take gandha, akshata and pushpa in right hand and leave in front of book by chanting the samrpan mantra.
Vasant Panchami Date and Muhurat 2020
Vasant Panchami is on 29th January
Puja Muhurat is between 10:45 am to 12:34 pm