Thekua / ठेकुआ
Thekua(the vrat recipe of chhath puja festival) is the most famous dish of the festival that is prepared with wheat flour,
ghee, sugar and dry fruits. A tight dough of the above ingredients is prepared
which is further shaped into small/medium tikkis and deep fried in pure ghee.
Thekua(the vrat recipe of chhath puja)
- 500 gm Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 tbsp Coconut, chopped
- 300 gm Jaggery (Gur)
- 4-5 Green Cardamom, peeled and mashed
- Ghee (or Vegetable Oil)
- 1.5 cup Water
- Saancha (Vessel to make)
Method Of Making Thekua(the chhath vrat recipe)
- Make a watery solution by mixing jaggery, water, and green cardamom.
- Add 4 tbsp ghee to the jaggery syrup prepared above and mix it to wheat flour,
along with coconut and make dough of it.
- Remember to use the exact quantity of jaggery syrup to make dough.
- Take a piece of dough, press it flat against your palm and then press it on a saancha for making thekua.
- Once the thekua has acquired the imprint from the saancha, deep fry it in ghee till it gets reddish brown.
- Filter out the ghee and put them aside.
- Allow the thekuas to cool down and serve.