Gujia ia a deep fried pastry stuffed with a sweet filling of khoya
- All purpose flour / maida 2 cup
- Ghee-3 tbsp to knead the flour, 1 tbsp for cooking the mawa
- Mawa/ khoya- 1 cup
- Chirogi/ charoli- 2 teaspoon
- Almonds- 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts- 2 tbsp
- Grated coconut- 1/4 cup
- Powdered sugar- 1/2 cup
- Cardamom green powder- 1/4 teaspoon
- Raisins/ kishmish- 2 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil /ghee- for deep frying
Heat the pan with ghee and add mawa. Fry it on a low flame till it is
light golden in the color.Keep stirring while frying it to avoid burning.
Switch off the flame.
- Take the fried mawa in a bowl and add chopped almonds, cashew nuts,
raisins, charoli and grated coconut. Mix it well. Let the mixture cool
completely. Then add cardamom powder and powdered sugar. Mix it well.
Stuffing is ready, keep it aside. (Make sure, mixture is cooled completely
before adding the sugar, If the mawa is too hot,sugar will start melting
and the stuffing will be runny, we don’t want that in this recipe)
- Take the flour in a separate bowl and add 3 tbsp ghee. Rub it with
your fingertips so that the ghee gets mixed with the flour well. You will
get like bread crumbs mixture.
- Add water little at a time and knead the flour well to make a stiff
dough. Cover it with wet muslincloth to prevent it from drying out. let
it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 18-20 equal portions. Take one portion of the dough,
dust with flour and roll into a 4-5 inch diameter circle using rolling pin as
shown in the image below.
- Take the gujiya mold, apply some oil on the inner part of the
mold and put the rolled circle on it as shown below in the image.
- Put 1-2 teaspoon stuffing in the center of the mold and apply water
around the edges and fold it into half circle then press it tightly.
- Take out the gujiya from the mold and do the same with the rest of the dough.
Cover it with muslin cloth till you prepare rest of the gujiya to prevent from
- Heat the kadai/ wok with oil and deep fry it on low flame till light golden
and crispy from both the sides.
- Take out the fried gujiya on the tissue paper to get rid of extra oil. Delicious
gujiya is ready, store it in a airtight container for later use.